Local Bigfoot enthusiast Stanley Cruce is a firm believer in what some consider to be merely myth and legend. From searching for Bigfoot in the backwoods of Gwinnett County to investigating orbs -- ghosts in the form of a ball of light -- he spends his free time setting up cameras in the hopes of catching a glimpse of the mysterious.
Most recently, he captured what he believes is an orb on film (see above). The discovery was pure luck, since his goal in setting up a video camera in Snellville was to capture footage of Bigfoot.
But why Snellville?
"The reason we're still searching around here is because in the '70's -- I believe it was 1974 -- on North Deshong Road right near where it crosses Rockbridge Road, farmers were reporting cattle mutilations," Cruce explained. "The witnesses then said that they saw a big hairy creature; they didn't say 'Bigfoot', but a lot of Bigfoot sightings have taken place near or at cattle mutilation sites so the chances are pretty high that's what it was."
He, along with some friends and family, have spent a lot of "cold, miserable nights" in the deep woods trying all sorts of different things to find the elusive creature, but have not, as of yet, found it in Gwinnett County.
Others, however, have.
The Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization, which calls itself "the only scientific research organization exploring the bigfoot/sasquatch mystery," documents reports from the Norcross and Buford areas among more than 100 sightings in Georgia.
- In 1999, one witnesses said he and other family members heard sounds and saw physical evidence in the woods behind his home around Plunketts Road near Buford. He believed it was Bigfoot based on the trail torn through the woods. He wrote: "[I] have been around bears and mountain lions before. Whatever that thing was that night was not one of those and I'm not nuts!"
- Another account, written by a man recalling incidents as a 14-year-old in the Norcross area in 1974, told of a skinny creature seven feet tall, with "wide hips, and its arms were almost to its knees." The report, based on what he and a friend had apparently seen, was written in 1998.
More recent reports from Georgia included:
- July 2012 in Polk County — Dusk sighting in the middle of the road by a husband and wife while driving outside Cedartown
- Spring 2012 in Habersham County — Golfers watched a large animal jump from a tree outside Tallulah Falls.
"There's all these undiscovered creatures in the woods," said Cruce, "and that has always interested me. With all the Bigfoot sightings that have occurred over the years all around the world, it just gives us the drive to continue the search."
Click here to view more reports of sightings in Georgia.
What are your thoughts on Bigfoot, orbs and the supernatural? Have you ever experienced anything like this? Tell us in the comments!
See More on Patch
- Loving the Lindahls: Theater Couple Takes Final Bow at Brookwood High
- Share Local Sports Highlights on Snellville Patch
- News Nearby: Florida Georgia Line Get Key to the City of Monroe
- 'It Was a Crazy, Crazy Day,' Beaudreau from His Hotel Room in Boston
- Former Snellville Businessman Opens New Service in Loganville