Gwinnett County PD Offers Holiday Safety Tips
The Holiday Task Force beings on Thanksgiving night.
(Editor's note: The following is a news release issued by Gwinnett County.)
The Gwinnett County Police Department will activate its Holiday Task Force beginning Thanksgiving night and continuing every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday through December 31. This initiative increases police presence at major retail outlets around the county. In addition, officers from the Crime Prevention Unit will be conducting vehicle safety checks during the holidays, encouraging shoppers to do their part to prevent property theft.
As you are out shopping for gifts and traveling during the holidays, the Police Department wants to remind you to be safe with these helpful tips:
- Do not drive under the influence of alcohol and drugs; call for a taxi, take public transportation, or have a designated driver.
- Observe your surroundings; report any suspicious or loitering people to the authorities.
- Store packages in your trunk and park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Don't shop alone, and when offered, let retail employees assist you with taking your merchandise to your vehicle.
- Don't carry large amounts of cash; use secure forms of payment such as a credit or debit card when purchasing items.
- Have merchandise delivered to a secured location when possible.
- If you are heading out of town, be sure to secure your home and designate someone you trust to collect your newspapers and mail.
- Don't announce on answering machines or social networking sites when you will be traveling away from home.