The six inductees into the 2013 Gwinnett Sports Hall of Fame include Louis Williams, a graduate of South Gwinnett High School. Williams, who now lives in Atlanta, plays for the Atlanta Hawks.
Some of the accomplishments that earned Williams his 2013 induction into the Gwinnett Hall of Fame included his current role as a member of the Atlanta Hawks of the NBA. Williams played at Snellville's South Gwinnett High School under Roger Fleetwood, where he was a four-time All-State selection. Here are some more of Williams' accomplishments.
- Named Georgia's "Mr. Basketball" during his junior and senior year
- Voted as the "Most Athletic" Senior Superlative by his peers.
- Won the 2005 Naismith Prep Player of the Year Award which identifies the nation's top high school player
- Named to the 2005 McDonald's All-American East Team.
- Both Williams and Mike Mercer, high school teammates at South Gwinnett High School, committed to play at the University of Georgia
- Williams declared for the 2005 NBA Draft
- Philadelphia 76ers 2005-2012
Williams is the second all-time leading scorer in Georgia high school basketball history.
Other inductees this year include:
Josh Wolff – Soccer - Parkview High School
Dave Hunter – Football Coach - Brookwood High School
Courtney Swaim Trimble - Golf - Duluth High School
Darius Walker – Football - Buford High School
Sherill Baker – Basketball – Greater Atlanta Christian School
The six honorees will be inducted in the Gwinnett Sports Hall of Fame in a ceremony sponsored by the Gwinnett County Public Schools Foundation on Saturday, May 4, at Coolray Field in Lawrenceville. Tickets are $12 each and may be ordered on the Gwinnett County Public School Foundation’s website at www.gcps-foundation.org.
A portion of each ticket will help fund student scholarships, teacher grants and academic initiatives in Gwinnett County Public Schools.