There's a summer adventure waiting for local high school sophomores and juniors selected for Walton EMC's 49th Washington Youth Tour.
The Tour sends four students to Atlanta and Washington, DC on June 13 - 20, 2013, to see the sights and learn valuable leadership skills. Included are audiences with state and national leaders.
Past tour stops include the White House, Capitol, Smithsonian, National Mall, National Holocaust Museum and various memorials. Social activities include a cruise on the Potomac River and dining at restaurants like the Hard Rock Café.
It's easy to qualify:
- Be a high school sophomore or junior
- Live or attend a school in Walton EMC's service area
- Have a parent's permission to enter
- Commit to making the trip on June 13 - 20 if chosen
It's also easy to enter:
- Complete and send the necessary forms to Walton EMC by 5 p.m., Friday, Feb. 8, 2013. Get the forms at waltonemc.com or by calling 770-266-2572.
- Study the material sent in the mail.
- Take a written test on Monday, March 4, 2013 covering the study material.
- The eight contestants scoring highest on the written test will advance to a short interview.
- Judges will choose four winners and two alternates.
Walton EMC is a customer-owned electric utility that serves 119,000 accounts over its 10-county service area between Atlanta and Athens.
(This was contributed by Jennifer Broun of Walton EMC)