Best Buy has announced its final closure plans for some 50 big-box retail locations across the United States, and two of those closing are in Georgia.
The company previously disclosed the locations of eight stores -- in Kansas City; Scotsdale, Ariz.; San Antonio, Texas; and the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minn.) -- that were closing.
Now, the plans for the remaining 42 stores are finalized, and officials notified affected stores and employees Saturday morning, according to press release sent April 14. The number of employees affected was not released.
Two Georgia stores -- in and Fayetteville -- are among those closing.
Most of the stores are expected to close by May 12, according to Best Buy officials.
"This was not an easy decision to make," officials said in a press statement. "We chose these stores carefully, and are working to ensure the impact to our employees will be as minimal as possible, while serving all customers in a convenient and satisfying way.
"But we also recognize the impact this news has on the people who deserve respect for the contributions they have made to our business.
We will be working to help these employees find other positions inside Best Buy. If they don’t find new positions, or if they choose not to work at a different location, a transition including severance packages will be available."
To process the news, most of the 42 stores slated for closure are not open today, and will re-open on Sunday, April 15.
The 50 closing stores are*:
- Casa Grande, 1004 N Promenade Pwy, Casa Grande AZ
- Lake Pleasant, 10134 W Happy Valley Rd, Peoria AZ
- East Palo Alto, 1751 E Bayshore Rd, East Palo Alto CA
- Westwood, 10861 Weyburn Ave, Los Angeles CA
- Manteca, 934 Perimeter Dr, Manteca CA
- Moreno Valley East, 27220 Eucalyptus, Moreno Valley CA
- Ontario, 4120 E 4th St; Ontario, Canada
- Pittsburg, 4405 Century Blvd, Pittsburg CA
- Jamboree, 2857 Park Ave, Tustin CA
- Arapahoe & Parker, 15800 E Briarwood Cir, Aurora CO
- The Forum, 9370 Dynasty Dr, Fort Myers FL
- Oldsmar, 11655 W Hillsborough Ave, Tampa FL
- Fayetteville, 128 Pavilion Pkwy, Fayetteville GA
- Loganville, 4014 Atlanta Hwy, Loganville GA
- Addison, 1038 N Rohlwing Rd, Addison IL
- 87th & Dan Ryan, 8900 S Lafayette Ave, Chicago IL
- Deerfield, 200 S Waukegan Rd, Deerfield IL
- Matteson, 4707 Lincoln Mall Dr, Matteson IL
- Mundelein, 1100 N Rt 83, Mundelein IL
- West Dundee, 979 W Main St, West Dundee IL
- Speedway, 10500 Parallel Pkwy Kansas City KS
- Back Bay, 360 Newbury St, Boston MA
- Wareham, 2421 Cranberry Hwy, Wareham MA
- Inner Harbor, 600 E Pratt St, Baltimore MD
- Hunt Valley, 118 Shawan Rd, Hunt Valley MD
- Biddeford, 405 Mariner Way, Biddeford ME
- Brooklyn Center, 5925 Earle Brown Dr, Brooklyn Center MN
- Edina, 3200 Southdale Cir, Edina MN
- Hutchinson, 1350 Hwy 15 S, Hutchinson MN
- Lakeville, 18350 Orchard Trl, Lakeville MN
- Rochester South, 4540 Maine Ave Se, Rochester MN
- Rogers, 20870 Rogers Dr, Rogers MN
- Ellisville, 15678 Manchester Rd, Ellisville MO
- Monroe, 3151 W Highway 74, Monroe NC
- Rocky Mount, 1100 N Wesleyan Blvd, Rocky Mount NC
- Millard, 12210 K Plz ,Omaha NE
- East River Plaza, 517 E 117th St, New York NY
- Steelyard Commons, 3506 Steelyard Dr, Cleveland OH
- Salem Mall, 5031 Salem Ave, Dayton OH
- Caguas, Las Americas Expry PR52; Zafiro, Caguas, Puerto Rico
- Middletown, 890 W Main Rd, Middletown RI
- Hickory Hollow, 5255 Hickory Hollow Pkwy, Antioch TN
- Techridge, 12901 North I-35, Austin TX
- Woodlake Parkway, 6218 Woodglen, San Antonio TX
- Landmark Mall, 5901 Stevenson Ave, Alexandria VA
- Cosner's Corner, 9745 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Fredericksburg VA
- East Richmond, 4410 S Laburnum Ave, Richmond VA
- Mill Plain, 16611 Se Mill Plain Blvd, Vancouver WA
*The Kansas City and Scotsdale, Ariz., stores closed in February.