The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch until 3 a.m. for Gwinnett County, including Snellville.
Showers and thunderstorms continuing through the overnight hours. Cloudy with temperatures steady in the low 70s. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
A watch means a tornado could form under current tornadoes. If this becomes a tornado warning:
- Make sure you have a portable radio, preferably a NOAA Weather Radio, for weather alerts and updates.
- Seek shelter in the lowest level of your home, such as a basement or storm cellar. If you don't have a basement, go to an inner hallway, a smaller inner room or a closet.
- Keep away from all windows and glass doorways.
- If you're in a building such as a church, hospital, school or office building, go to the innermost part of the building on the lowest floor. Do not use elevators because the power may fail, leaving you trapped.
- You can cushion yourself with a mattress, but don't cover yourself with one. Cover your head and eyes with a blanket or jacket to protect against flying debris and broken glass. Don't waste time moving mattresses around.
- Keep pets on a leash or in a crate or carrier.
- Stay inside until you're certain the storm has passed, as multiple tornadoes can emerge from the same storm.
- Do not leave a building to attempt to "escape" a tornado.