There's been a rush of Gwinnett voters who have taken advantage of the chance to cast their votes early in the upcoming presidential elections on Nov. 6.
As of Oct. 29, some 40,666 Gwinnett County residents have cast their votes during the early voting period and another 11,032 have cast their votes by mail, according to Joe Sorenson, spokesman for the county.
A total of 19,872 had requested a mail in ballot, which means nearly 9,000 voters have yet to mail their ballots.
"We expect the remaining ballots to start coming in a flurry," said Sorenson.
In the 2008 presidential elections, 50,024 Gwinnett voters cast their votes early while another 31,807 voted by mail.
This year Gwinnett voters have until Friday, Nov. 2, to take advantage of the early voting opportunity. There are five locations open for early voting.
- Gwinnett County Voter Registration and Elections located at 455 Grayson Highway, Suite 200, Lawrenceville, GA 30046. Voting hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. through Friday (Nov 2) at this location.
And there are four satellite voting locations open for voting through Friday (Nov. 2) of this week; voting hours at these four locations are 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Centerville Community Center, 3025 Bethany Church Road, Snellville 30039
- George Pierce Community Center, 55 Buford Highway, Suwanee 30024
- Dacula Activity Building, 2735 Old Auburn Road, Dacula 30019
- Lucky Shoals Community Center, 4651 Britt Road, Norcross 30093
The last day to vote in the county's early election period is Friday, Nov. 2. Early voting is not available on the Monday before the election.
For questions, visit the Gwinnett County Elections Office website, or call 678-226-7210.
A note about mail-in voting: Any ballot received after 7:00 p.m. on Election Day will not be counted, regardless of when the ballot was mailed or postmarked. (Except military and overseas voters who qualify under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Voting Act, who may have ballots received through the Friday after the election.)
Voters may return their own voted ballots to the Elections Office (455 Grayson Highway, Lawrenceville) by 7:00 p.m. on election night for tabulation. Ballots may not be accepted at polling locations or satellite advance locations for tabulation.