And then there was one.
The climax of the 2012-13 college football season is Monday (Jan. 7), when Notre Dame and Alabama meet in Miami in the BCS Championship Game.
(Game time: 8:30 p.m., ESPN).
The game has a Gwinnett tie, too. Check out Patch's story on the sons of two Gwinnett County Sheriff's deputies facing each other in the big game.
The No. 1 Fighting Irish and No. 2 Crimson Tide have been practicing and talking with media members for several days. Here's sampling of the information.
- Georgia fans will have an unpleasant memory of Alabama receiver Amari Cooper, who caught a 45-yard touchdown pass for the winning TD vs. the Bulldogs in the SEC title game. “To me, Alabama is not here without Amari Cooper,” ESPN analyst David Pollack said.
- "It was not a dirty play," Alabama's Quinton Dial said of his controversial block of Georgia QB Aaron Murray in December. (See the attached video.)
- Alabama coach Nick Saban, who once coached the Miami Dolphins, says he has no "unfinished business in the NFL," according to The Sporting News.
- Bear Bryant, Frank Leahy, Ross Browner, Joe Namath ... Notre Dame and Alabama have had many legendary players and coaches. Check the Legends series from The Chicago Tribune.
- Alabama is trying to repeat as BCS champion -- but no one ever has. From Wikipedia, check the results of all previous BCS title games.
-- Who ya got in Alabama-Notre Dame? Share your predictions and thoughts in the comments below.