Monday, November 12, 2012
Romney was the favorite in Snellville city limits, while Obama took the vote in every unincorporated polling station.
On Election Day 2012, Mitt Romney drew 54 percent of the Gwinnett County vote by winning 98 of the county’s 156 precincts. According to unofficial results available on the Georgia Secretary of State website, Romney finished with 159,563 votes, compared to 131,879 for President Barack Obama, who won re-election nationwide. Here's how Snellville voted (includes unincorporated areas, marked by a 'U'): Pharr Elementary: Romney 1336, Obama 363 Snellville United Methodist: Romney 1032, Obama 471 Forest Hills at Mountain View: Romney 910, Obama 311 Westminster Presbyterian: Romney 1247, Obama 1106 Britt Elementary: Romney 719, Obama 821 Cannon United Methodist: Romney 1481, Obama 404 Briscoe Park main building: Romney 741, Obama 1138 …
Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Snellville resident Kathy Hildebrand, of Snellville, stood in front of a polling station on Tuesday in the cold and rain to get honks for Romney. She is a member of the Georgia electoral college.
Kathy Hildebrand, recent Georgia delegate to the Republic National Convention, showed up at the polling booth at 6:45 a.m. with a couple of friends and campaign signs. They pitched their tent -- literally, in the pouring rain -- near the intersection of Oak Road and Five Forks in order to spread the Romney message one last time. She and a handful of other women have spent their entire day there, eliciting thumbs up, honks, and sometimes some very crass responses. "If someone yells, "Obama!", I think, hey, you're patriotic, you're cheering for your guy and I'm cheering for my guy and that's great," she said. "Even if I get a thumbs down I don't think of that as negative. But when they give you the finger or yell crass phrases, it just makes…
Georgia's voting goes until 7 p.m., but some polls elsewhere close two hours later.
Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Georgia voters have until 7 p.m. to cast their Election 2012 ballots, but voting in key swing states ends as much as two hours after that, and exit polling could provide an early indication of whether President Obama or Mitt Romney wins the White House. The earliest key state to watch for is Virginia, where polls close at 7 p.m. E.T. Voting ends 30 minutes later in swing states Ohio and North Carolina. At 7 p.m. swing states Florida, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire close their polls. Nevada, the final swing state that could prove as pivotal as Iowa, closes its voting at 10 p.m. E.T. As long as you make it to the polls by 7 p.m., you'll be able to vote in Georgia. They won't close the lines until the last voter has cast his or her ballot. …
Charter school amendment appears headed for win.
UPATE 5:50 pm If you are in line to vote at 7 pm, you will get to vote even though the polls close then. Tens of thousands of Fulton County voters have already cast ballots today. Turnout is especially high for today’s General Election, as it is in most Presidential election years. It's too early to know how this year compares to 2008. In the evening after traditional work hours, peak turnout is anticipated, and tens of thousands of additional voters could exercise their right to vote. Fulton County elections officials released a statement advising that voters who are in line at 7 pm will be allowed to vote under Georgia law. As provided by Georgia law, voters who are over age 75 or who have a disability are eligible to ask to move ahead …
Republican-heavy Gwinnett County came out in large numbers
Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Results Updated 2 a.m., Wednesday Gwinnett County voters provided few surprises on Election Day. They came out in large numbers, voted mostly Republican and provided several lopsided outcomes. Nearly 75 percent of the county's registered voters casted their ballots, more than five percentage points better than the 2008 turnout. Gwinnettians voted for Gov. Mitt Romney for president, for incumbents in 11 races, including three Board of Education candidates, and in favor of the controversial Public Charter School Amendment (by a 63% to 37% margin), which drew similar margins elsewhere in the state. U.S. Representatives Rob Woodall (R, District 7) and Hank Johnson (D, District 4) had sizable leads among their Gwinnett constituents as they …
Monday, November 5, 2012
You may need a coat and umbrella at the polls Tuesday.
Take a warm jacket and an umbrella with you to the Election Day polls, because it's not going to be voting weather Tuesday. Forecasters say temperatures will start in the mid-40s and rise only into the low-50s while Gwinnett County voters are at the polls from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Oh yeah, and it’s probably going to rain, too. WeatherBug, the source for weather information on Patch sites, says there will be an 80-percent of rain well into the early morning hours, before the chances diminish to 40 percent for the rest of the day. Weather.com puts the rain chance at 60 percent at 7 a.m., falling to 20 percent later in the afternoon. See also:
Friday, November 2, 2012
The number of early voters surpasses 2008 numbers by tens of thousands.
Despite extremely long wait times on Saturday for early voters -- up to 8 hours at the Centerville Community Center -- more voters have been able to cast their ballot early than in the last presidential election. Joe Sorenson, Gwinnett County's Communication Director, said that a total of 50,054 Gwinnett voters cast their ballots early during the 2008 election. As of yesterday, 76,955 have already voted, and that doesn't include those who voted by mail. And while the wait times were long, people were moving through quicker this year than during the last election, according to Sorenson. In 2008, 10,720 people voted at the Centerville location. As of yesterday, 9,734 residents in that precinct had already voted. One of the reasons for the …
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
Gwinnett County has just added a feature on its website that lets you know how long the wait is at each early polling station.
Are you thinking of voting early but not sure about how long the lines are? Gwinnett County has just added a feature on its website that lets you know just how long you'll wait in line to cast your vote. The wait times are updated four times a day: 10:30 am.; 12:30 pm; 2:30 pm; and 4:30 pm. Early voting ends on Friday, Nov. 2. Click HERE for up-to-date wait times. Vote early at: Registered voters may cast a ballot in person through Friday, November 2 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm at the Elections Office or between 9:00 am and 7:00 pm at one of the following satellite polling locations:
Thursday, October 25, 2012
There will be satellite voting offices in several locations, including Snellville, in the county before Election Day.
Election Day 2012 may be just a few days away, but you can cast ballots for national and local races tomorrow in Snellville. According to the county website and newsletter, registered voters can cast ballots from Monday, Oct. 15 to Friday, Nov. 2 at the county Elections Office, 455 Grayson Highway in Lawrenceville, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Voting on Saturday will be available on Oct. 27, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Satellite voting at the Centerville Community Center in Snellville is Oct. 29 - Nov. 2, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m. Satellite locations also will be available in Suwanee, Norcross and Dacula. Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 6, with voting at all local Gwinnett precincts. To view a consolidated ballot for the general election, visit the sample ballots website. For …
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
Monday night was the final face-off for Barack Obama and Mitt Romney before the election. Who do you think won? And do you think it will affect the election?